Enthusiasm is a word derived from the Greek, meaning “to have God inside”. Because God is a God of power and energy, the term is often associated with fervor and zeal.
Enthusiasm has special meaning for the Christian. When a person enters into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ, and thereby becomes a Christian, God the Holy Spirit (and Spirit of Jesus Christ) immediately comes to indwell (take up residence in) that person’s heart (1 Corinthians 3:16). With God comes all of His characteristics of infinite love, power, knowledge, truth, holiness, etc. But the Holy Spirit of God desires not merely to “dwell” in my house, but also wants to become “head of the household” – to be in control of my “rooms” – my thoughts, words, actions, motives, hobbies, work, etc. For then He can release His power, joy, knowledge, etc. unbridled in me and through me, which will result in bountiful love and blessing for Him, me and others. Thus He commands me to be “filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18), to turn over to Him control of every “room and closet of my house”, to let Him fill every facet of my “house” as “head of the household”. With the power of the Holy Spirit controlling my life, I will then be able to exhibit the character quality of Enthusiasm with His great, divine energy.
Being continuously filled with the Holy Spirit is a simple process:
(1) I must desire to be filled – to turn control over to Christ. He will not force it. (John 7:37-39)
(2) I confess my sins and repent. (See steps above)
(3) I yield myself totally to Him as the Lord (managing director) of my life. (Romans 12:1`)
(4) I receive the filling of the Holy Spirit by faith. (Ephesians 5:18, 1 John 5:14-15)
(5) I thank Him and believe on the basis of His Word that he now controls me. (Hebrews 11:6, Romans 1:17)
If I stumble or become aware of an area I have not turned over to Him as Lord, I “breathe spiritually”, exhaling [step (2)] and inhaling [steps (3) – (5)]. Will you join me?
The Character Council of Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky