0998 hnyb biynah bee-naw’ or (plural) twnyb
from 0995; TWOT-239b; n f
AV-understanding 32, wisdom 2, knowledge 1, meaning 1, perfectly 1, understand 1; 38
1) understanding, discernment
- Deuteronomy 4:6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding <0998> in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
- 1 Chronicles 12:32 And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding <0998> of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.
- 1 Chronicles 22:12 Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding <0998>, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God.
- 2 Chronicles 2:12 Huram said moreover, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, that made heaven and earth, who hath given to David the king a wise son, endued with prudence and understanding <0998>, that might build an house for the LORD, and an house for his kingdom.
- Job 28:20 Whence then cometh wisdom? and where is the place of understanding <0998>?
- Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 1:2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding <0998>;
- Proverbs 2:3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge <0998>, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding <0998>: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 7:4 Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding <0998> thy kinswoman:
- Proverbs 8:14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding <0998>; I have strength.
- Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding <0998> rather to be chosen than silver!
- Proverbs 23:4 Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom <0998>.
- Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding <0998>.
- Proverbs 30:2 Surely I am more brutish than any man, and have not the understanding <0998> of a man.
- Isaiah 11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding <0998>, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
- Daniel 1:20 And in all matters of wisdom and understanding <0998>, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians andastrologers that were in all his realm.
- Daniel 8:15 And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning <0998>, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.
- Daniel 9:22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding <0998>.
- Daniel 10:1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding <0998> of the vision.
02449 Mkx chakam khaw-kam’
a primitive root; TWOT-647; v
AV-..wise 19, ..wiser 4, ..wisely 2, teach wisdom 1, exceeding1; 27
1) to be wise
1a) (Qal) to be or become wise, act wisely
1b) (Piel) to make wise, teach wisdom, instruct
1c) (Pual) to be made wise
1d) (Hiphil) to make wise
1e) (Hithpael) to show oneself wise, deceive, show one’s wisdom
- Exodus 1:10 Come on, let us deal wisely <02449> with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.
- Deuteronomy 32:29 O that they were wise <02449>, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!
- 1 Kings 4:31 For he was wiser <02449> than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.
- Job 32:9 Great men are not always wise <02449>: neither do the aged understand judgment.
- Job 35:11 Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser <02449> than the fowls of heaven?
- Psalms 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise <02449> the simple.
- Psalms 58:5 Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers, charming never so wisely <02449>.
- Psalms 105:22 To bind his princes at his pleasure; and teach his senators wisdom <02449>.
- Psalms 119:98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser <02449> than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
- Proverbs 6:6 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise <02449>:
- Proverbs 8:33 Hear instruction, and be wise <02449>, and refuse it not.
- Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser <02449>: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- Proverbs 9:12 If thou be wise <02449>, thou shalt be wise <02449> for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- Proverbs 13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise <02449>: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
- Proverbs 19:20 Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise <02449> in thy latter end.
- Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise <02449>.
- Proverbs 21:11 When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise <02449>: and when the wise is instructed, he receiveth knowledge.
- Proverbs 23:15 My son, if thine heart be wise <02449>, my heart shall rejoice, even mine.
- Proverbs 23:19 Hear thou, my son, and be wise <02449>, and guide thine heart in the way.
- Proverbs 27:11 My son, be wise <02449>, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth me.
- Proverbs 30:24 There be four things which are little upon the earth, but they are exceeding <02449> wise:
- Ecclesiastes 2:15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise <02449>? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
- Ecclesiastes 2:19 And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise <02449> under the sun. This is also vanity.
- Ecclesiastes 7:16 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise <02449>: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?
- Ecclesiastes 7:23 All this have I proved by wisdom: I said, I will be wise <02449>; but it was far from me.
- Zechariah 9:2 And Hamath also shall border thereby; Tyrus, and Zidon, though it be very wise <02449>.
02451 hmkx chokmah khok-maw’
from 02449; TWOT-647a; n f
AV-wisdom 145, wisely 2, skilful man 1, wits 1; 149
1a) skill (in war)
1b) wisdom (in administration)
1c) shrewdness, wisdom
1d) wisdom, prudence (in religious affairs)
1e) wisdom (ethical and religious)
- Exodus 28:3 And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom <02451>, that they may make Aaron’s garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest’s office.
- Exodus 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom <02451>, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
- Job 4:21 Doth not their excellency which is in them go away? they die, even without wisdom <02451>.
- Job 11:6 And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom <02451>, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
- Job 12:2 No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom <02451> shall die with you.
- Job 12:12 With the ancient is wisdom <02451>; and in length of days understanding.
- Job 12:13 With him is wisdom <02451> and strength, he hath counsel and understanding.
- Job 13:5 O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom <02451>.
- Job 15:8 Hast thou heard the secret of God? and dost thou restrain wisdom <02451> to thyself?
- Job 26:3 How hast thou counselled him that hath no wisdom <02451>? and how hast thou plentifully declared the thing as it is?
- Job 28:12 But where shall wisdom <02451> be found? and where is the place of understanding?
- Job 28:18 No mention shall be made of coral, or of pearls: for the price of wisdom <02451> is above rubies.
- Job 28:20 Whence then cometh wisdom <02451>? and where is the place of understanding?
- Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom <02451>; and to depart from evil is understanding.
- Job 32:7 I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom <02451>.
- Job 32:13 Lest ye should say, We have found out wisdom <02451>: God thrusteth him down, not man.
- Job 33:33 If not, hearken unto me: hold thy peace, and I shall teach thee wisdom <02451>.
- Job 38:36 Who hath put wisdom <02451> in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?
- Job 38:37 Who can number the clouds in wisdom <02451>? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,
- Job 39:17 Because God hath deprived her of wisdom <02451>, neither hath he imparted to her understanding.
- Psalms 37:30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom <02451>, and his tongue talketh of judgment.
- Psalms 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom <02451>.
- Psalms 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom <02451>.
- Psalms 104:24 O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom <02451> hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.
- Psalms 107:27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits <02451>‘ end.
- Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom <02451>: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
- Proverbs 1:2 To know wisdom <02451> and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
- Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom <02451> and instruction.
- Proverbs 2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom <02451>, and apply thine heart to understanding;
- Proverbs 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom <02451>: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
- Proverbs 2:10 When wisdom <02451> entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
- Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom <02451>, and the man that getteth understanding.
- Proverbs 3:19 The LORD by wisdom <02451> hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
- Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom <02451>, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom <02451> is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom <02451>: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Proverbs 4:11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom <02451>; I have led thee in right paths.
- Proverbs 5:1 My son, attend unto my wisdom <02451>, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- Proverbs 7:4 Say unto wisdom <02451>, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
- Proverbs 8:1 Doth not wisdom <02451> cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
- Proverbs 8:11 For wisdom <02451> is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.
- Proverbs 8:12 I wisdom <02451> dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom <02451>: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- Proverbs 10:13 In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom <02451> is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.
- Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom <02451>.
- Proverbs 10:31 The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom <02451>: but the froward tongue shall be cut out.
- Proverbs 11:2 When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom <02451>.
- Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom <02451>.
- Proverbs 14:6 A scorner seeketh wisdom <02451>, and findeth it not: but knowledge is easy unto him that understandeth.
- Proverbs 14:8 The wisdom <02451> of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit.
- Proverbs 14:33 Wisdom <02451> resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding: but that which is in the midst of fools is made known.
- Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom <02451>; and before honour is humility.
- Proverbs 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom <02451> than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
- Proverbs 17:16 Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom <02451>, seeing he hath no heart to it?
- Proverbs 17:24 Wisdom <02451> is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth.
- Proverbs 18:4 The words of a man’s mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom <02451> as a flowing brook.
- Proverbs 21:30 There is no wisdom <02451> nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD.
- Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom <02451>, and instruction, and understanding.
- Proverbs 24:3 Through wisdom <02451> is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:
- Proverbs 24:14 So shall the knowledge of wisdom <02451> be unto thy soul: when thou hast found it, then there shall be a reward, and thy expectation shall not be cut off.
- Proverbs 28:26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely <02451>, he shall be delivered.
- Proverbs 29:3 Whoso loveth wisdom <02451> rejoiceth his father: but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance.
- Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom <02451>: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
- Proverbs 30:3 I neither learned wisdom <02451>, nor have the knowledge of the holy.
- Proverbs 31:26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom <02451>; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
- Ecclesiastes 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom <02451> concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
- Ecclesiastes 1:16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom <02451> than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom <02451> and knowledge.
- Ecclesiastes 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom <02451>, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
- Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom <02451> is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
- Ecclesiastes 2:3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom <02451>; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what wasthat good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life.
- Ecclesiastes 2:9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom <02451> remained with me.
- Ecclesiastes 2:12 And I turned myself to behold wisdom <02451>, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been already done.
- Ecclesiastes 2:13 Then I saw that wisdom <02451> excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.
- Ecclesiastes 2:21 For there is a man whose labour is in wisdom <02451>, and in knowledge, and in equity; yet to a man that hath not laboured therein shall he leave it for his portion. This also is vanity and a great evil.
- Ecclesiastes 2:26 For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom <02451>, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.
- Ecclesiastes 7:10 Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely <02451> concerning this.
- Ecclesiastes 7:11 Wisdom <02451> is good with an inheritance: and by it there is profit to them that see the sun.
02452 hmkx chokmah (Aramaic) khok-maw’
corresponding to 02451; TWOT-2729b; n f
AV-wisdom 8; 8
- Ezra 7:25 And thou, Ezra, after the wisdom <02452> of thy God, that is in thine hand, set magistrates and judges, which may judge all the people that are beyond the river, all such as know the laws of thy God; and teach ye them that know them not.
- Daniel 2:20 Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom <02452> and might are his:
- Daniel 2:21 And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom <02452> unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:
- Daniel 2:23 I thank thee, and praise thee, O thou God of my fathers, who hast given me wisdom <02452> and might, and hast made known unto me now what we desired of thee: for thou hast now made known unto us the king’s matter.
- Daniel 2:30 But as for me, this secret is not revealed to me for any wisdom <02452> that I have more than any living, but for their sakes that shall make known the interpretation to the king, and that thou mightest know the thoughts of thy heart.
- Daniel 5:11 There is a man in thy kingdom, in whom is the spirit of the holy gods; and in the days of thy father light and understanding and wisdom <02452>, like the wisdom <02452> of the gods, was found in him; whom the king Nebuchadnezzar thy father, the king, I say, thy father, made master of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers;
- Daniel 5:14 I have even heard of thee, that the spirit of the gods is in thee, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom <02452> is found in thee.
07919 lks sakal saw-kal’
a primitive root; TWOT-2263,2264; v
AV-understand 12, wise 12, prosper 8, wisely 6, understanding 5, consider 4, instruct 3, prudent 2, skill 2, teach 2, misc 7; 63
1) to be prudent, be circumspect, wisely understand, prosper
1a) (Qal) to be prudent, be circumspect
1b1) to look at or upon, have insight
1b2) to give attention to, consider, ponder, be prudent
1b3) to have insight, have comprehension
1b3a) insight, comprehension (subst)
1b4) to cause to consider, give insight, teach
1b4a) the teachers, the wise
1b5) to act circumspectly, act prudently, act wisely
1b6) to prosper, have success
1b7) to cause to prosper
2) (Piel) to lay crosswise, cross (hands)
- Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise <07919>, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
- Genesis 48:14 And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim’s head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh’s head, guiding<07919> his hands wittingly <07919>; for Manasseh was the firstborn.
- Deuteronomy 29:9 Keep therefore the words of this covenant, and do them, that ye may prosper <07919> in all that ye do.
- Deuteronomy 32:29 O that they were wise, that they understood <07919> this, that they would consider their latter end!
- Joshua 1:7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper <07919> whithersoever thou goest.
- Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success <07919>.
- 1 Samuel 18:5 And David went out whithersoever Saul sent him, and behaved himself wisely <07919>: and Saul set him over the men of war, and he was accepted in the sight of all the people, and also in the sight of Saul’s servants.
- 1 Samuel 18:14 And David behaved himself wisely <07919> in all his ways; and the LORD was with him.
- 2 Kings 18:7 And the LORD was with him; and he prospered <07919> whithersoever he went forth: and he rebelled against the king of Assyria, and served him not.
- 1 Chronicles 28:19 All this, said David, the LORD made me understand <07919> in writing by his hand upon me, even all the works of this pattern.
- 2 Chronicles 30:22 And Hezekiah spake comfortably unto all the Levites that taught <07919> the good knowledge of the LORD: and they did eat throughout the feast seven days, offering peace offerings, and making confession to the LORD God of their fathers.
- Nehemiah 8:13 And on the second day were gathered together the chief of the fathers of all the people, the priests, and the Levites, unto Ezra the scribe, even to understand <07919> the words of the law.
- Nehemiah 9:20 Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct <07919> them, and withheldest not thy manna from their mouth, and gavest them water for their thirst.
- Job 22:2 Can a man be profitable unto God, as he that is wise <07919> may be profitable unto himself?
- Job 34:27 Because they turned back from him, and would not consider <07919> any of his ways:
- Job 34:35 Job hath spoken without knowledge, and his words were without wisdom <07919>.
- Psalms 2:10 Be wise <07919> now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
- Psalms 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand <07919>, and seek God.
- Psalms 32:8 I will instruct <07919> thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
- Psalms 36:3 The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise <07919>, and to do good.
- Psalms 41:1 <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> Blessed is he that considereth <07919> the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
- Psalms 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding <07919>.
- Psalms 53:2 God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand <07919>, that did seek God.
- Psalms 64:9 And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider <07919> of his doing.
- Psalms 94:8 Understand, ye brutish among the people: and ye fools, when will ye be wise <07919>?
- Psalms 101:2 I will behave myself wisely <07919> in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
- Psalms 106:7 Our fathers understood <07919> not thy wonders in Egypt; they remembered not the multitude of thy mercies; but provoked him at the sea, even at the Red sea.
- Psalms 119:99 I have more understanding <07919> than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
- Proverbs 1:3 To receive the instruction of wisdom <07919>, justice, and judgment, and equity;
- Proverbs 10:5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise <07919> son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.
- Proverbs 10:19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise <07919>.
- Proverbs 14:35 The king’s favour is toward a wise <07919> servant: but his wrath is against him that causeth shame.
- Proverbs 15:24 The way of life is above to the wise <07919>, that he may depart from hell beneath.
- Proverbs 16:20 He that handleth a matter wisely <07919> shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.
- Proverbs 16:23 The heart of the wise teacheth <07919> his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.
- Proverbs 17:2 A wise <07919> servant shall have rule over a son that causeth shame, and shall have part of the inheritance among the brethren.
- Proverbs 17:8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth <07919>.
- Proverbs 19:14 House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent <07919> wife is from the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:11 When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is instructed <07919>, he receiveth knowledge.
- Proverbs 21:12 The righteous man wisely considereth <07919> the house of the wicked: but God overthroweth the wicked for their wickedness.
- Proverbs 21:16 The man that wandereth out of the way of understanding <07919> shall remain in the congregation of the dead.
- Isaiah 41:20 That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand <07919> together, that the hand of the LORD hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it.
- Isaiah 44:18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand <07919>.
- Isaiah 52:13 Behold, my servant shall deal prudently <07919>, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.
- Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding <07919>.
- Jeremiah 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth <07919> and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
- Daniel 1:4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful <07919> in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king’s palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.
- Daniel 1:17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill <07919> in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
- Daniel 9:13 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand <07919> thy truth.
- Daniel 9:22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill <07919> and understanding.
- Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand <07919>, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
- Daniel 11:33 And they that understand <07919> among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil,many days.
- Daniel 11:35 And some of them of understanding <07919> shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it isyet for a time appointed.
- Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise <07919> shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
- Daniel 12:10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise <07919>shall understand.
- Amos 5:13 Therefore the prudent <07919> shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.
07922 lks sekel seh’-kel or lks sekel say’-kel
from 07919; TWOT-2263a; n m
AV-understanding 7, wisdom 3, wise 1, prudence 1, knowledge 1, sense 1, discretion 1, policy 1; 16
1) prudence, insight, understanding
1a) prudence, good sense
1b) insight, understanding
1c) cunning, craft (bad sense)
- 1 Samuel 25:3 Now the name of the man was Nabal; and the name of his wife Abigail: and she was a woman of good understanding <07922>, and of a beautiful countenance: but the man was churlish and evil in his doings; and he was of the house of Caleb.
- 1 Chronicles 22:12 Only the LORD give thee wisdom <07922> and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God.
- 1 Chronicles 26:14 And the lot eastward fell to Shelemiah. Then for Zechariah his son, a wise <07922> counsellor, they cast lots; and his lot came out northward.
- 2 Chronicles 2:12 Huram said moreover, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, that made heaven and earth, who hath given to David the king a wise son, endued with prudence <07922> and understanding, that might build an house for the LORD, and an house for his kingdom.
- 2 Chronicles 30:22 And Hezekiah spake comfortably unto all the Levites that taught the good knowledge <07922> of the LORD: and they did eat throughout the feast seven days, offering peace offerings, and making confession to the LORD God of their fathers.
- Ezra 8:18 And by the good hand of our God upon us they brought us a man of understanding <07922>, of the sons of Mahli, the son of Levi, the son of Israel; and Sherebiah, with his sons and his brethren, eighteen;
- Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense <07922>, and caused them to understand the reading.
- Job 17:4 For thou hast hid their heart from understanding <07922>: therefore shalt thou not exalt them.
- Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding <07922> have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
- Proverbs 3:4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding <07922> in the sight of God and man.
- Proverbs 12:8 A man shall be commended according to his wisdom <07922>: but he that is of a perverse heart shall be despised.
- Proverbs 13:15 Good understanding <07922> giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.
- Proverbs 16:22 Understanding <07922> is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.
- Proverbs 19:11 The discretion <07922> of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.
- Proverbs 23:9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom <07922> of thy words.
- Daniel 8:25 And through his policy <07922> also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.
08394 Nwbt tabuwn taw-boon’ and (fem.) hnwbt t@buwnah teb-oo-naw’ or hnbwt towbunah to-boo-naw’
from 0995; TWOT-239c; n m
AV-understanding 38, discretion 1, reasons 1, misc 3; 43
1) understanding, intelligence
1a) the act of understanding
1b) the faculty of understanding
1b1) intelligence, understanding, insight
1c) the object of knowledge
1d) teacher (personification)
- Exodus 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding <08394>, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
- 1 Kings 4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding <08394> exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.
- 1 Kings 7:14 He was a widow’s son of the tribe of Naphtali, and his father was a man of Tyre, a worker in brass: and he was filled with wisdom, and understanding<08394>, and cunning to work all works in brass. And he came to king Solomon, and wrought all his work.
- Job 12:12 With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding <08394>.
- Job 12:13 With him is wisdom and strength, he hath counsel and understanding <08394>.
- Job 26:12 He divideth the sea with his power, and by his understanding <08394> <08394> he smiteth through the proud.
- Job 32:11 Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons <08394>, whilst ye searched out what to say.
- Psalms 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding <08394>.
- Psalms 78:72 So he fed them according to the integrity of his heart; and guided them by the skilfulness <08394> of his hands.
- Psalms 136:5 To him that by wisdom <08394> made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.
- Psalms 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding <08394> is infinite.
- Proverbs 2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding <08394>;
- Proverbs 2:3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding <08394>;
- Proverbs 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding <08394>.
- Proverbs 2:11 Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding <08394> shall keep thee:
- Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding <08394>.
- Proverbs 3:19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding <08394> hath he established the heavens.
- Proverbs 5:1 My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding <08394>:
- Proverbs 8:1 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding <08394> put forth her voice?
- Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding <08394> hath wisdom.
- Proverbs 11:12 He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding <08394> holdeth his peace.
- Proverbs 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding <08394>: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.
- Proverbs 15:21 Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding <08394> walketh uprightly.
- Proverbs 17:27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding <08394> is of an excellent spirit.
- Proverbs 18:2 A fool hath no delight in understanding <08394>, but that his heart may discover itself.
- Proverbs 19:8 He that getteth wisdom loveth his own soul: he that keepeth understanding <08394> shall find good.
- Proverbs 20:5 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding <08394> will draw it out.
- Proverbs 21:30 There is no wisdom nor understanding <08394> nor counsel against the LORD.
- Proverbs 24:3 Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding <08394> it is established:
- Proverbs 28:16 The prince that wanteth understanding <08394> is also a great oppressor: but he that hateth covetousness shall prolong his days.
08454 hyvwt tuwshiyah too-shee-yaw’ or hyvt tushiyah too-shee-yaw’
from an unused root probably meaning to substantiate; TWOT-923a; n f
AV-wisdom 7, enterprise 1, thing as it is 1, that which is 1, substance 1, working 1; 12
1) wisdom, sound knowledge, success, sound or efficient wisdom, abiding success
1a) sound or efficient wisdom
1b) abiding success (of the effect of sound wisdom)
- Job 5:12 He disappointeth the devices of the crafty, so that their hands cannot perform their enterprise <08454>.
- Job 6:13 Is not my help in me? and is wisdom <08454> driven quite from me?
- Job 11:6 And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is <08454>! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
- Job 12:16 With him is strength and wisdom <08454>: the deceived and the deceiver are his.
- Job 26:3 How hast thou counselled him that hath no wisdom? and how hast thou plentifully declared the thing as it is <08454>?
- Job 30:22 Thou liftest me up to the wind; thou causest me to ride upon it, and dissolvest my substance <08454>.
- Proverbs 2:7 He layeth up sound wisdom <08454> for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
- Proverbs 3:21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom <08454> and discretion:
- Proverbs 8:14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom <08454>: I am understanding; I have strength.
- Proverbs 18:1 Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom <08454>.
- Isaiah 28:29 This also cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working <08454>.
- Micah 6:9 The LORD’S voice crieth unto the city, and the man of wisdom <08454> shall see thy name: hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it.
4678 sofia sophia sof-ee’-ah
from 4860; TDNT-7:465,1056; n f
AV-wisdom 51; 51
1) wisdom, broad and full of intelligence; used of the knowledge of very diverse matters
1a) the wisdom which belongs to men
1a1) spec. the varied knowledge of things human and divine, acquired by acuteness and experience, and summed up in maxims and proverbs
1a2) the science and learning
1a3) the act of interpreting dreams and always giving the sagest advice
1a4) the intelligence evinced in discovering the meaning of some mysterious number or vision
1a5) skill in the management of affairs
1a6) devout and proper prudence in intercourse with men not disciples of Christ, skill and discretion in imparting Christian truth
1a7) the knowledge and practice of the requisites for godly and upright living
1b) supreme intelligence, such as belongs to God
1b1) to Christ
1b2) the wisdom of God as evinced in forming and executing counsels in the formation and government of the world and the scriptures
- Matthew 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom <4678> is justified of her children.
- Matthew 12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom <4678> of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
- Matthew 13:54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath thisman this wisdom <4678>, and these mighty works?
- Mark 6:2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath thisman these things? and what wisdom <4678> is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
- Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom <4678>: and the grace of God was upon him.
- Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom <4678> and stature, and in favour with God and man.
- Luke 7:35 But wisdom <4678> is justified of all her children.
- Luke 11:31 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them: for she came from the utmost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom <4678> of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
- Luke 11:49 Therefore also said the wisdom <4678> of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
- Luke 21:15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom <4678>, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
- Acts 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom <4678>, whom we may appoint over this business.
- Acts 6:10 And they were not able to resist the wisdom <4678> and the spirit by which he spake.
- Acts 7:10 And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom <4678> in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house.
- Acts 7:22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom <4678> of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.
- Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom <4678> and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
- 1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom <4678> of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
- 1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom <4678> of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
- 1 Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom <4678> of this world?
- 1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom <4678> of God the world by wisdom <4678> knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
- 1 Corinthians 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom <4678>:
- 1 Corinthians 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom <4678> of God.
- 1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom <4678>, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
- 1 Corinthians 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom <4678>, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
- 1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom <4678>, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
- 1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom <4678> of men, but in the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom <4678> among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom <4678> of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
- 1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom <4678> of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
- 1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom <4678> teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
- 1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom <4678> of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
- 1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom <4678>; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
- 2 Corinthians 1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom <4678>, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.
- Ephesians 1:8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom <4678> and prudence;
- Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom <4678> and revelation in the knowledge of him:
- Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom <4678> of God,
- Colossians 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom <4678> and spiritual understanding;
- Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom <4678>; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
- Colossians 2:3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom <4678> and knowledge.
- Colossians 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom <4678> in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
- Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom <4678>; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- Colossians 4:5 Walk in wisdom <4678> toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
- James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom <4678>, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
- James 3:13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom <4678>.
- James 3:15 This wisdom <4678> descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
- James 3:17 But the wisdom <4678> that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
- 2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom <4678> given unto him hath written unto you;
- Revelation 5:12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom <4678>, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
- Revelation 7:12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom <4678>, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
- Revelation 13:18 Here is wisdom <4678>. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
- Revelation 17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom <4678>. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.
5428 fronhsiv phronesis fron’-ay-sis
from 5426; TDNT-9:220,1277; n f
AV-wisdom 1, prudence 1; 2
2) knowledge and holy love of the will of God
- Luke 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom <5428> of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
- Ephesians 1:8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence <5428>;